The Victorian Waterway Management Program includes significant investment in managing the threats from invasive plants and animals to wetland condition and values. Wetland managers seeking guidance and support about which species to focus on and how to effectively minimise impacts, require specific and readily accessible information. Strategies, guidelines, fact sheets, case studies, advice, training and mentoring have been identified by managers as being valuable resources to support their pest control programs.
ARI is involved in a collaborative project to provide support and develop resources for wetland managers, including:
- An annual training course for the management of feral rabbits and pigs, foxes and carp in wetlands. This covers the essential knowledge and practical skills required to plan, support, advocate and implement pest management program, and includes workshops and field-based practical exercises.
- Fact sheets summarising what is known about the environmental impacts of these four species on wetlands.
- A process to prioritise 174 weed species within Victorian wetlands – included a voting and vetting system in consultation with wetland managers to identify 31 high priority weeds.
- A collation of information on the 31 high priority weeds, including the way they impact on wetland values.
This project was funded by Water & Catchments (DELWP), and represents a collaboration with the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (Agriculture Services and Biosecurity Operations, and Agribio), Invasive Species Cooperative Research Centre, Parks Victoria, Catchment Management Authorities and Doug Frood (consultant botanist).
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The fact sheets and reports produced as part of this project are available below:
Fact sheets on animals:
- Invasive species in wetlands fact sheet 1: impact of rabbits (PDF, 809.2 KB) (accessible version (DOCX, 1.3 MB))
- Invasive species in wetlands fact sheet 2: impact of foxes (PDF, 750.4 KB) (accessible version (DOCX, 2.2 MB))
- Invasive species in wetlands fact sheet 3: impact of pigs (PDF, 931.3 KB) (accessible version (DOCX, 2.4 MB))
- Invasive species in wetlands fact sheet 4: impact of carp (PDF, 577.6 KB) (accessible version (DOCX, 1.4 MB))
Reports on weeds:
- Weiss, J, Dugdale, T and Frood, D. (2017) Knowledge document of the impact of priority wetland weeds: Part 1 – Selection of the priority wetland weeds. (PDF, 1.9 MB) Report prepared for Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) Water and Catchments Group by Agriculture Victoria.
(accessible version (DOCX, 1.2 MB))
- Weiss, J. and Dugdale, T. (2017) Knowledge document of the impact of priority wetland weeds: Part 2 – Impacts of priority wetland weeds. (PDF, 1.6 MB) Report prepared for Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) Water and Catchments Group by Agriculture Victoria.
(accessible version (DOCX, 708.9 KB))